Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

What do bathroom cleaners do to penetrating silicone grout sealer?

Old 03-23-07, 09:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

One has to obviously wonder about this. Especially if one likes using acid based lime scale removers and oven cleaner on tiled surrounds, and perhaps tiled floors by the shower.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-07, 02:34 PM
High strength acidic cleaners can have an adverse affect on grout sealers over time.

It is recommended to visually inspect, steam clean, and re-seal sealed grout joints periodically.

I recommend to all of our customers to do it twice a year in high traffic areas ... more if needed.

I recommend aqua mix brand grout sealers for our customers.

http://obscurity.ws/search.php?query=aqua+mix+grout+sealer

Old 03-23-07, 04:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Thank you. I read one of the links. It says it out performs silicone sealers. It can last 5 years. But it did not say what it was made of. I wonder what it is made of.

What I find interesting is it says it allows the transmission of vapor? That I don't understand. You would think you would want it so no moisture of any sort can penetrate it. Can you enlighten on this?

Old 03-23-07, 07:58 PM
The water based sealers are resins suspended in a liquid. Upon application the liquid evaporates away and the resins have been carried into the micropores of the grout. Applying a sealer is not like putting a coat of polyurethane on, it does not form a water barrier. It will slow down the absorption of other liquids into the grout and filling the pores gives less places for dirt and similar particles to gain a foothold.

Some of the older silicon based sealers have been retired because of the high VOCs and the resulting state regulations which made them basically unsellable. I could never get my hands around the vapor transmission thing but I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last night.

Old 03-24-07, 03:24 AM
i believe they also allow a substrate to "breathe" ... to release vapor emissions or hydrostatic pressure which makes them a great choice for sealing over concrete substrates. This can lessen the pressure against a flooring system may otherwise be vapor impregnable and could blow off the floor in failure.