Ceramic tile over concrete outside

Old 03-24-07, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceramic tile over concrete outside

What problems exist when I install ceramic tile over concrete in a screened in porch that is not heated or cooled. Temp. range is from -10F to 110F. Is there special thin set for the application?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-07, 08:26 PM
The tile should be porcelain which is a non-absorbtive tile and is less likely to suffer failure from a freeze/thaw condition. The slab has to be in good shape with no spalling or flaking, no paint and no curing agents or sealers in the cement. Any one of those is a deal breaker. Small horizontal cracks can be addressed by using a crack isolation membrane. Do a search for Noblecompany.com and look at their outdoor decking membrane if you have horizontal cracks. If the cracks display vertical shear, forget the idea of tiling at all. Nothing will protect them from cracking in that case.

Old 03-25-07, 08:17 AM
Reex,
First, does the rain and snow get to the floor? If so how does id get off the floor? The slab needs to be in good shape. If water, snow or any of the elements can get on the floor, then it needs to be sloped to send the water away. If the screen walls sit directly on the slab, how does the water get out?
Assuming that everything is OK from this point and you have a proper slope to remove the water, then a uncoupling membrane needs to be installed. The joints will need to be sealed with a band of some type made by the Manufacturer for this specific purpose. Be sure and use these bands also along the perimeter of the screen porch. Then you can install the tiles. The type of tiles used for exterior applications is a critical factor. Any tile that is rated FROST PROOF is the correct product to use. These are Porcelain and some quarry tiles. Some manufacturers will claim that there tiles are frost resistant. Key word RESISTANT. This is when the buyer has to become savvy to the advertising wordage. If done correctly, an exterior application will last for years to come. I have completed many outdoor tile projects in Maine. www.schluter.com Ditra is the product.
Jim

Last edited by Tile Pro; 03-25-07 at 08:21 AM. Reason: added link
Old 03-26-07, 09:47 AM
Tile over concrete

What is uncoupling membrane, what is it for and how is it applied? There is little snow or rain on the floor and is well drained to three holes on the down side.

Old 03-26-07, 02:54 PM
Uncoupling membrane is at www.schluter.com Product is called Ditra and Kerdi bands.
A uncoupling membrane will absorb the rain and water that goes into the grout and freezes. Water when solid is bigger, and Ditra will deform and accomadate the extra material without cracking the grout or tile. Kerdi bands are used on all seams and to flash to the walls making everything waterproof.

Old 04-02-07, 09:55 PM
Mastic removal

Mastic was used to glue the carpet to the concrete. We have pulled the carpet up but a yellow glue or mastic covers most of the floor. We have tried green mastic removers but no luck. Any suggestions as to what or how to remove the glue?

Old 04-03-07, 05:07 AM
A floor scraper is the common tool used, or a grinder as a last resort. If a solvent is used to remove the mastic or old glue, it would seep into the cement making it extremely hard to bond the new layer of membrane or tile to it. There are cases where the solvent used to remove the original mastic had reacted with the new thinset causing it to disintegrate.

Old 04-04-07, 12:36 PM
soybean based remover

I have used a soybean based remover with some success. Now I wonder if I have caused a problem with penetration into the concrete or will cause a problem with a reaction with the thinset. The remover is water soluble and I plan to water clean with TSP as the last step.

Old 04-04-07, 12:41 PM
Water soluble sounds fine. I was referring to a solvent based remover.