leveling a floor for tiles

Old 03-28-07, 05:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
leveling a floor for tiles

I just took up a old title job with mud.The house has settled and the floor is of by 1/2 in on one side 1/4 in on another side (the center line in room is where I measured from,floor only 5 ft wide). Going to use 5/8 plywood as base and 1/2 hardy backer board. Whats the best way to level the two side of the floor.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-07, 01:48 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Bob, whats under that high spot in the middle of the floor? Is there a beam or load bearing wall directly below the high spot? Whats causing the saging on each side of the room, and has that movement stopped or been corrected?

Old 03-28-07, 08:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The house is still settling,all the house in the area are this way (glad its not mine).It took the house 20 years to get to this point,so they hope they can get 15 more years. I have to install the tiles the best I can. Under the old mud was 1/2 in ply wood.

Old 03-29-07, 04:51 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If the subfloor problem has not been corrected, your taking a big chance installing ceramic tile on that floor. If the settling continues, you'll need to redo the job again in a few years at most. Consider some other type of flooring, maybe sheet vinyl. It wont look as nice, but it wont be a problem either.