Tile over old asbestos in basement

Old 03-29-07, 08:17 AM
MEJ
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tile over old asbestos in basement

Mu understanding is that as long as the basement floor is sound and level, I can just mortar directly over these old 9x9 vinyl tiles with a latex modified mortar and set the tiles right on top...Is that correct?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-07, 04:46 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You should remove the vinyl and adhesive from the slab. Read this thread for all the details why.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=152521

Vinyl tile will compress and ceramic tile and natural stone cant take that movement. Additionally, you would be relying on the bond of the vinyl to the slab which maybe is good, or maybe not. Just because thinset instructions say that they can bond to vinyl doesnt mean its a good idea to do it.

Old 03-29-07, 06:18 PM
MEJ
I actually read that post when I first started searching for my answer. BUT...this vinyl is sooo thin and worn down, its almost part of the concrete. It's gotta be 30-40 yrs old. I am on a strict timeline, and I need to do it the most quick and efficient way possible. I didnt find the answer on any directions. I found it searching posts on numerous dyi sites...which by the way have so may different ideas, I'm not surehow anyone can come up with one clear answer...lol

Old 03-29-07, 06:27 PM
You can successfully cover the 9x9s with Duraceramic from Congoleum. That is, as long as the existing tile is well adhered.

Old 03-29-07, 07:06 PM
There is a clear answer. You have to remove the vinyl. I know its not what you want to hear, but thats the right answer. The fastest way is usually not the best way.

Old 03-29-07, 09:20 PM
I know it isn't what you want to hear, but Johnny is correct. Your biggest issue is going to be with the bond between the existing material and the surface under it. Those old tiles are much harder than today's version so compression may not be the issue, but it would be like gluing to a layer of dirt and expecting the stuff to stay there. Gluing to the old tiles is a sure recipe for disaster. If they come loose, they take all your effort and hard earned money with them. Construction is not an exact science, especially in remodels, and time lines oft times must be adjusted to fit reality and common sense.

Old 03-30-07, 12:16 PM
Smokey

Your starting to sound like a philosopher. I like it though.

Old 03-30-07, 02:03 PM
My beard's white. Does that count?

Old 03-31-07, 06:56 AM
For a different opinion, I'm gonna say Yes, you can successfully lay ceramic over old asbestos tiles.

If the existing tiles are firmly attached to the floor.....

I would:

Mix some latex additive (buy it at the tile store) in the mortar to improve it's adhesion to the tiles.
Remove any tiles (or pieces) that are loose before you start.
Give the old floor a good scrubbing.
Vary the mortar thickness to compensate for any floor variations.
Allow the mortar to fully cure before grouting or walking on the ceramic tiles.

Another benefit is you don't have to disturb the old asbestos tiles, which depending on where you are, may be a story in itself.

This is just another opinion, you be the judge as to what you do.
I'm not a professional ceramic tile installer, although I've laid some over old flooring with success (lasted 10 years plus and going strong).

steve

Old 03-31-07, 07:45 AM
No one's saying it won't stick to the old flooring if done correctly. The issue is the old flooring being stuck to the floor under it. Again, if it comes loose, so does the tile. I've seen miles of that old vinyl or asbestos tile come loose and would never trust it as a surface to put ceramic over.

Old 03-31-07, 11:45 AM
I agree with Smokey. If you wanna do this over again in a year or two (or maybe less) then go ahead and go over the vinyl. If you want a job thats gonna last then get rid of the vinyl. Anything can be done, but that doesnt make it right.