Non-sanded Grout did NOT harden

Old 04-04-07, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Non-sanded Grout did NOT harden

Hi,

I regrouted my shower. Prior to doing so I used a grout rake to remove the old grout down about 1/16 of an inch. I also cleaned the joints and tile and let them dry for 24 hrs prior to adding the new grout. I've allowed the new grout to set for 72 hrs and it is not hard, you can scratch it with a fingernail.

Shouldn't it be harder? What should I do? I was planning on sealing the grout, but I'm guessing I should wait.

thanks

Scott

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-07, 03:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
May be that the grout was packed after cement hydration has started? In other words, was water added to the mix after the grout began curing in the bucket? The grout will be plastic enough to work into the joints, but will not cure into a hard block. Instead, it will be crumbly and weak.

Old 04-04-07, 03:55 PM
Or, did you use premixed grout? If so, get it all out of there and start over with real grout.

Old 04-04-07, 04:12 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
When regrouting the general rule of thumb (if there is one) is to remove the old grout to the depth of approx 2/3 of the joint. Adding thin layers of grout do not bond well to existing grout and tend to flake off. My guess is that you didnt remove enough of the old grout so what you added didnt bond well.

Old 04-04-07, 06:55 PM
Hi,

I used real grout (Polyblend) - the powdered stuff you mix with water. I got it at Home Depot. Also, I would say that I did remove 2/3 of the old grout.

The grout is not coming out of the joint, nor is it flaking, it is simply a little soft, you can scratch it with your fingernail. It looks good, I'm just worried that it is not hard enough. The directions on the side of the box (that came with pictures) explained how to apply the grout. It did not say to 'mist' the grout for 3 days. HOWEVER, the written directions on the back of the box say to 'mist' the grout for 3 days.

So, I'm going to try to mist it for a couple days an hope that it cures a little stronger. Unless someone has a better suggestion.

thanks.

Old 04-05-07, 03:38 PM
I sent an email to the manufacturer. I'm going to give this a try - here is their reply:

If the existing grout in the joint was dry when the new grout was being installed, itíll possibly suck the water out of the new grout causing it to dry too fast.

If that is the cause, you can re-hydrate the grout by damp curing the grout with Distilled water. Soak the grout 3 times a day for 3 days.

***-Technical Service Representative

Old 04-09-07, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by twitchylegs View Post
I sent an email to the manufacturer. I'm going to give this a try - here is their reply:

If the existing grout in the joint was dry when the new grout was being installed, itíll possibly suck the water out of the new grout causing it to dry too fast.

If that is the cause, you can re-hydrate the grout by damp curing the grout with Distilled water. Soak the grout 3 times a day for 3 days.

***-Technical Service Representative
Here is my question how thick are your grout joints