leveling subfloor

Old 04-15-07, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
leveling subfloor

1st off, what is the best way to cut-out the subfloor as close as possible to the stud base?

2nd, my floor has a high spot towards the center. there are 2 joists sandwiched together and the builder laid the subfloor in the same direction, and joined them together at this sandwiched joist (not too bright).

should i sister the other joists and plane down the high sandwiched joints?

i'm either going to put down ceramic tile or possibly glueless cork.

lastly, it's great being here, it's my 1st of probably many posts. Thanks for having me

Best,
Pete

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-07, 08:05 PM
Don't be in such a hurry to cut the subfloor at the bottom plate. The subfloor is usually laid prior to the wall framing and the nearest joist may be under the wall! This will leave the subfloor unsupported. Locate the joist nearest to the wall - and parallel to it - and split the subfloor in the center of the joist with your skil saw set to the thickness of the subfloor. You can get as close as 1 1/4" this way

Plane down the high spots and fill the low spots as necessary. Unless the floor slopes you probably don't have to sister the joists.

As for the direction of the floor, the code in my area calls for a minimum of
1 1/4" of structural flooring. I get this by nailing 1/2" pla across the joists and laying a second layer of 3/4" ply the other way, breaking on the joists.

Old 04-15-07, 08:37 PM
Rockpro,

Thanks for the input. If left to my own devices, I'd probably be in a bind tomorrow morning

the floor peaks in the middle, and the whole left side is shot (bows, and i thought i was going to go through it). compound that with the sub layed the wrong way, and i thought the only answer was to replace the entire floor.

Last edited by DIYaddict; 04-16-07 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed