Grout haze on tile and on grout lines

Old 04-19-07, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Grout haze on tile and on grout lines

Hi- I did a search for haze problems after ceramic tile has been installed and have seen that vinegar is the trick. We just finished installing glazed porcelain tile in our basement and we have a haze on the tile and the actual grout lines are lighter than they should be. I have read on this forum about the use of vinegar and water (50/50 mix), but when I was at Lowes last weekend, they told me not to use vinegar because it would eat away the grout lines...any advice? I am willing to try the vinegar and water mix on the tile itself, but do I need to do something different for trying to get the haze out of the grout lines? Also, I have glazed porcelain tile...is that different cleaning/maintenance than what you would use for ceramic? Thanks for you help!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-07, 03:40 PM
WOW!!! For once, Lowes actually got something right regarding tile. I give that person a tip of my hat for their knowledge. The acids in the vinegar react against the alkaline in the cement based grout, eating away at it and eventually causing it to crumble. A one time use would not be too harmful but there are better cleaners available that do no harm. There are grout haze cleaners available at some tile retail stores but stay away from the big box stores. A glazed porcelain tile is impervious to absorption on the surface so the cleaning regimen should be aimed at what will be safe for the grout. A balanced cleaner (neutral Ph) should be used for regular cleaning. Any cleaner with a dye coloration can soak into the grout and alter the color. For minor cleaning a sponge/mop and clean water will do.

Old 04-19-07, 06:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I had bad haze and efflorecense (sp). I tried the vinager, acids, etc with no results. I ended up getting some grout colorant from groutdye.com. It worked perfectly.

It's not actually a dye, it's just the name of the place.