Repair hairline cracks in colored concrete floor

Old 04-19-07, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Repair hairline cracks in colored concrete floor

We are moving into a new home that has decorative mottled interior concrete floors with radiant heat. During blasting for neighboring foundations several hairline cracks appeared on the floors. The installers want to replace the entire floor (VERY expensive) We can live with the cracks but wondered what kinds of products might be used to fill them in. Since there is variation in the color on the floors, we were thinking of using some blending techniques with different colored tile grout. Can regular tile grout be used? If not any other suggestions? Any experience with this problem is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-07, 06:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You you say "blasting", do you actually mean the engineers using explosives? If so, those contractors are reponsible for the repair of your slab.

I dont think you could use tile grout because the concrete will shrink over time causing the grout to crack.

So, your floors are etched? Can you take some photos and post them to a free site like photobucket.com and paste a link here?

I love seeing what they can do with etching.

Old 04-19-07, 06:52 PM
Re-sealing the slab (or re-waxing it) may fill in those cracks. I have seen plenty of stained concrete floors with hairline cracks in them - adds to the character :-)

Old 05-03-07, 08:16 AM
More feedback

Thanks for your feedback.
To HotinOKC, I'm unable to post a picture as we live a distance away from this home. There are some intersting pictures on the web (google search) that show what can be done with etching. Yes, the "blasting" was with explosives however, the builder must have signed a release and one of the conditions of our purchasing the home was accepting the floors 'as is'. I've also checked with some contractors and they concur with Lobcabincook that it should not affect the wear and "adds to the character".

I'll share the response I got from a concrete contractor who does these floors. "If you can live with the cracks I would leave them. Any repair would be difficult: stripping the entire floor, repairing and refinishing from the beginning. Spot repair in the cracks would show and probably not be as easy to look at as what you have now. If the cracks are an issue with cleaning you could fill them with clear silicone caulking without spoiling the look of your floor and remove it easily if it doesn’t work. (I agree with your builder that the cracks should not affect the life of your floor)."

Last edited by Capecodder25; 05-03-07 at 08:20 AM. Reason: mispelling