Installing glass block

Old 04-24-07, 01:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing glass block

Lets see, is this the correct place for this subject? I certainly hope so. If not, please move it to the right forum. Thanks.

OK, I have an opening that is 24"X60", and I want to install glass block into this opening, and I want the blocks to come out even. (Doesn't everybody) Since I've never installed glass block before I don't know what the rough openings should be. I know the sizes, such as 6"X6", 8"X8", etc. blocks, but what about the track that the block sit in. Do I have to allow for that dimension?

In other words, if I use the 8" blocks, would three rows fit nicely into my 24" opening", or would I need slightly more than 24" to accommodate them with all of the other hardware involved? I am at the stage where I can adjust the rough opening if I need to.

Thanks much...Randy

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-07, 02:17 AM
Well, I couldn't find the edit button anywhere, so I am replying to my own post.

I just wanted to add that this is not going to be a window, so waterproofing will not be an issue. The blocks are going in the wall in the stairwell leading to the basement. It is a standard sheetrock wall, and the block will be installed from the downstairs ceiling, and down about 24".

Old 04-24-07, 06:08 AM
Add up the dimensions of the block, add the width of the joints (typically about 1/2" each), add the height of track if you are using it and determine how you are going to finish the top. Sometimes I use a track that slips over the top course of block as it is installed and then is raised slightly so that the leg of the track still covers the block but can be attached to the head casing.
Sometimes, I install the top course and work the mortar above it. This is more time consuming and a lot harder to get the top course in.