1/4" or 1/2"

Old 05-11-07, 07:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1/4" or 1/2"

I am going to retile my kitchen floor and the existing ceramic tile is directly on the wooden subfloor. I was planning on laying 1/2" durashield on top of the subfloor and then tiling but I'm now afraid that the floor will be too high since I'm not removing the existing cabinets. Can I get away with a 1/4" durashield in order to lower the overall height of the new floor? My biggest concern is having the floor too high under the dishwasher and where the kitchen floor will meet the hardwood floors.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-07, 07:56 AM
Dura Shield is not a product I'm familiar with, but if you were using concrete board I would advise 1/4 inch. !/4 is for floors and 1/2 is for walls. Folks mistakenly believe the thicker material will make the floor stronger when it's the makeup of the floor itself that provides strength. The cbu is only there to compensate for the expansion and contraction difference between tile and wood.

Old 05-12-07, 03:42 PM
Provided your wood subfloor is structurally sound for your tile install you could also go with something like Schluters Ditra that is about a 1/8" rise.