R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ceramic floor

can i install ceramic tile 8 inch over sheets of little tiles

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-07, 07:19 PM
S
Probably, but we'll need more info in order to say positively.

Old 05-20-07, 09:07 AM
C
Thumbs down re: tile over tile

This is not a reply but a very similiar question in regards to placing tile over tile. I never have put ceramic tile over old tile but I have a customer that wants it done. I dont understand why other than the cost of removing the old tile??? It is a kitchen/front entrance floor that has 8" x 8" tile presently with marble sills at each entrance. She wants me to go over that with 12" x 12" tile. I tried to explain that wouldnt be a good idea but she says another contractor said he could do it. He came in with a lower bid and my thinking that is why. Is it possible?? And if so, what would be the proper preparation? Thank you.

Old 05-20-07, 01:20 PM
S
Technically, yes, it's possible. The only real drawback, other than perhaps a height issue, is the bond with the existing tile to the floor it's currently on. If it is not currently well adhered to the floor, you will have problems with the new due to movement in the old. Closely examine the existing tile. Is any of the grout cracked? Does any of the grout look like it has separated or cracked away from the tile? Are any of the tiles cracked? If you tap on the tiles with the end of a screw driver or some thing, do you hear hollow spots? All of these are indicators of tile that is not well adhered. If you don't find any of these indicators and are satisfied the existing floor is in good shape, go for it. Different installers have different methods and most will "die on that hill" so to speak. I like to have a really good bond between old and new. I don't trust the slick surface of the old so I use my side grinder and put lots of lines in the old tile that go below the surface of the glaze in order to expose the body. Other installers are happy with a good course grade sand papering. However it's done, the existing tile needs to be roughed up so the new thinset has something to get hold of. Other than that, it's pretty much just setting tile.