Discolored grout

Old 05-19-07, 03:59 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Discolored grout

In the November-December timeframe (about 6 months ago), I tiled the floors of my new house (about 2/3 of the first floor and the two bathrooms upstairs, for a total of some 1100 sq feet). In early January, a pro did my master bath shower and whirlpool deck. The grout isn't yet sealed, which is a project that has finally reached the top of my todo list. However, none of the grout, even that which the pro did, dried an even color. It doesn't look like efflourescense, as the discoloration is actually to the dark side. A 2 foot section of grout can go light-dark-light several times. We have tile with a moderate-to-heavy color variation, so the problem is fairly hidden - I doubt most would see it - but I'd still like to do something before sealing it. Anyone have some suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-07, 05:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This is fairly common.

It can depend on the mixture and batch of grout.

I have bad luc with grout so I usually end up buying some grout colorant from groutdye.com.

They make the colorant fresh to order and can match any color available.

I end up coloring it, then sealing it at least 3 times.

Old 05-24-07, 08:39 AM
grout discoloration

There are 2 major things that cause grout to discolor. the biggest one is minerals in your water. you said that this is a new house and probablly a new well. minerals that are naturally in well water such as rust, sulfer, iron, ect. can all discolor grout. New wells will have higher then normal amounts of these minerals. the second thing is more common on darker grout, sometimes the pigments in the grout can settle to the bottom of the bag. and if the installer doesnt mixx the powder before adding the water you will get patchy grout lines. unfortunatlly the only thing that can be done once the grout has dried is to get some grout dye its a pain in the rear to put on and be carefull , if its a light colored dye one application may not be enough to even up the color of the grout