Question about subfloor

Old 06-14-07, 06:55 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question about subfloor

i am getting ready to lay my mosiac tile and i am wondering how free of the old adhesive the plywood needs to be? Would it be eaiser for me to just take out the old and replace it than getting on my hands and knees and scrubbing the garbage off?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-07, 07:46 PM
J
Are you asking if you should replace the old plywood? It's not such a good idea to install tile directly over plywood. Tell us more about this tile project.

Jaz

Old 06-14-07, 07:51 PM
M
i have taken out the old tile that was just glued to the plywool and I am hoping that i can just do the same thing. I took out 12x12 inch mosiac tile and that is what i am going to be installing. the house is about 40 years old and i am guessing that the tile was laid back in the 70's maybe that was just common practice back then. so i am guessing your going to tell me i need to put in a cement backer?

Old 06-14-07, 08:50 PM
S
Good guess. How well adhered was the old tile? If it stayed stuck to that plywood, it was an exception and not the norm. Do you really want to take the chance that you can duplicate whatever the original installer did to pull that off? Tile and wood have dramatically different expansion and contraction rates and, under most circumstances, won't remain bonded due to this difference. You need a medium between them to compensate for that difference or the floor will come apart. That is the purpose of the concrete board.

Old 06-14-07, 09:01 PM
M
the tile is not being set in mortar. i was told to use mastic so will i have to worry about expansion/contraction problems... i apoligize in advance if this seems like a dumb question.

Old 06-14-07, 11:16 PM
W
easy solution

you can install "ditra" (Thats a product made by Schluter) directly on the plywood. Its a good product, just make sure the plywood substrate is sound, and doesn't have alot of movement. If it does just be certain to shore it up first. The tile is installed over the ditra, Its available at home depot and theres installation procedures included. Heres link to Schluters website. http://www.schluter.com/2080.aspx
Good luck.

Old 06-15-07, 07:04 AM
H
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Who told you to use mastic? Mastic shouldnt be used on a floor. I know some of the mastic instructions say they can be used on floors but thats just nonsense. You need to use thinset on a floor. Setting directly to the plywood is doable but really not a good idea. Theres just more room for failure that way. Go with a cement board or an isolation membrane over the plywood.