major help needed , in panick mode!

Old 06-17-07, 08:25 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
major help needed , in panick mode!

I set two tiles off patern and had to remove them this morning, I used the trowl and a hammer .The tiles came up easily and 80% of the mortor was stuck to the floor.
When I first started tiling I removed a tile and the thinset was sticking pretty well.
Do I need to lift all the tiles ,scrape the thinset and start over with a different brand? maybe these tiles wont adhere properly without a modified thinset?

please copy and paste these links into your browser and tell me if this is normal after 10 hrs or I have a bonding problem.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa17/zimzum1970/mortoronflooraftertileremoval.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa17/zimzum1970/removedtile-1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-07, 01:27 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't know about a different brand, but you do need a modified thinset, or you need to put add mix in. It's pretty common fare that the bond won't be good that soon into the install. One thing that will help, beside the missing latex add mix, would be to coat each tile with thinset as you go. Use the flat side of your trowel and work it in. This fills all the little pores and voids to insure a more complete bond. You don't need to apply lots of elbow grease or anything like that, just make sure the back of the tile is well coated. Mixing the thinset too dry will also cause a less than optimum bond. You want it thick enough that the trowel ridges hold their shape, but not so thick that the stuff is dry, so to speak. An indicator of too dry would be having to re-comb a lot because the stuff sort of balls up on the first pass and doesn't stick to the floor.

Old 06-18-07, 06:52 AM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Looking at those pictures, somethings not right. Theres almost no thinset on the tile. What kinda thinset are you using? You may want to try cleaning the backs of the tiles as theres sometimes a kiln realease on the backs of those kinda tiles that will affect the bond. Additionally, manufacturers sometimes use something between the tiles to keep them from cracking during shipment. Additionally, make sure that you are not letting the thinset skin over before you set the tile. Spread just enough thinset for a few tiles and set them right away. Make sure your not working with thinset that has exceeded its pot life. Mix only about as much as you can put down in about an hour. Burning the thinset into the back of the tile as Smokey suggested is a good idea as well.