Help- Tile Very Tough to Remove

Old 06-21-07, 07:12 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help- Tile Very Tough to Remove

Hi there- I am at my wits end- I have taken a job to remove only 32 sf of tile. I think it is procelin, because it is very hard. The next problem is that is in a manufactured home, so it looks like everything was done pre-fab. The tiles are 12x12, and they look like they have been glued down. They were definitely not done using mortar or any type of thinset or mastic. Just looks like a thick bead of liquid nails almost. The next problem is that they are on 1/4 OSB which has been glued and 2" stapled to the 3/4 OSB subfloor. They are on in a 4x8 foyer area- hence the 32 sf. I would settle for any sort of removal, but I just spent 2 hours chipping away, and hardly got anything. I had 3 foot crow bars under them, and all sorts of other stuff, and all I can do is chip away a bit at a time. I was hoping to get the whole sheet of 1/4 OSB underlayment to spring loose, and just lift the whole thing up- but no dice. Insetead I am chipping and splitting things all over the place. I have removed a ton of tile before- but nothing has ever been this challenging. Does anyone have any ideas?

I am thinking of taking over a cutting wheel and really cutting the grout out next, then trying to work under the tiles with an air chisel. What do you think? Nothing is coming up in big chunks, no matter how much I try to work a pry bar under it- it just chips up a little at a time. There has got to be an easier way.....I am going crazy.

PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-07, 07:22 PM
I would try the air chisel. get as much of the tile off the 1/4" board as you can and then get a carbide blade on a circular saw and set the depth of cut to just below the 1/4" board and cut it into 2' squares then pry it up with the long pry bar. The staples that stay behind can be pounded down with a hammer if no wood strands remain under the staple.

Old 06-23-07, 04:12 PM
N
Thanks a million

That worked great. i would not wish that job on my worst enemy- but we got it done. Thanks for the advice