Yet another floor leveling question

Old 06-24-07, 02:08 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yet another floor leveling question

I'm buying a house built in 1955 with a wavey kitchen floor that I'm trying to decide how to level. Mostly dips toward the interior but some slope to one side also. The house is on a crawl space with plank flooring below and 3/4 ply on top of that, with ugly sheet vinyl that must go. The joist's look like 2x10s and the floor is supported from below especially in the kitchen area, (I can jump up and down on this floor with no movement), so I don't believe it's an ongoing settling problem but I am having it inspected on Wed. 27th anyway. I'm thinking of using self leveling cement and if that turns out smooth enough, staining that. I've looked into the soy stain that I saw on another post and called the company who told me as long as the cement was porous it would work fine. I could always tile over it if it didn't turn out nice enough. My question is what's the best SLC to use over a wood floor that would turn out smooth enough to use as a finish coat? Should I use a latex primer first? I've done a lot of research and know I'd have to screed after pouring to spread it out. The pour would be 1/8 to 1/2 inch thick. I've looked at Level Quik, EZ Level, Webpatch 90, and a few others.
Thanks in advance!
Jon

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-07, 04:36 AM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Im not sure about the staining. You need to use a primer. Every slc comes with its own primer so use the right one. You also need to attach lath to the plywood before pouring the slc. Ideally you want the thinist part of the pour to be 1/2". A pour of 1/8" as a finished floor is not gonna fly. Im not sure about the suitability of slc as a finished floor. I usually go over all slc pours with an isolation membrane and then tile. SLC over time sometimes develops hairline cracking that generally doesnt cause any problems for the tile above but I dont think youll be happy with it as a finished floor. If the vinyl flooring has any 1/4" underlayment, make sure you remove it as well. I use the TEC ez level all the time. Ive use levelquik as well. No problems with either as long as you follow the instructions and do your homework on slc in advance.

Old 06-25-07, 09:38 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks HJ

You've shed a lot of light on my project. I've done tile on a concrete slab before, but not on a crawlspace. You have to wait forever for the cement to cure before you can stain anyway. One more question about the vinyl. I've heard some older vinyl had asbestos backing. Is there an easy way to tell if I might have this problem? I don't believe this vinyl is that old.
Thanks,
Jon

Old 06-26-07, 12:26 PM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If you have concerns that it contains asbestos, have it tested. That being said, asbestos is only a problem if it gets airborn. Keep it wet while scraping and it shouldnt be an issue.