Exterior Tile, slate, or stone....

Old 07-02-07, 07:38 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exterior Tile, slate, or stone....

I live in indiana zone 5 and have an exterior concrete slab patio. i was thinking about resurfancing the patio with a tile, slate, or stone and i didn't know if this was a good idea. does anybody have any experience with this in my general climate? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-07, 03:09 AM
S
I see no one has responded to this so I'll take a shot at it. I'm unfamiliar with your climate conditions, but my normal preference in this situation is porcelain tile. Slate is stone and falls into the same category, so your options are, tile or stone, short of stained concrete or something like that. Porcelain tile is very dense and will withstand the rigors of an out door installation. I've seen stone come apart in extreme freeze/thaw situations so I tend to shy away from it. I know it's used a lot in less harsh environments with considerable success, but I don't know what your climate is, being unfamiliar with "zone 5" and all. Ceramic tile, unless it's rated for out side installation, isn't a good idea.

Old 07-05-07, 08:24 PM
J
Most natural stone tiles and any porcelain tile will hold up outdoors. The main problem is the construction and condition of the slab.

To begin with, unless the slab was poured with the proper slope with a tile installation in mind, chances are that it is too flat to promote water run-off. The slab must have a slope of at least 1/4" per ft., 3/8" would be better. I have not seen many slabs with that much pitch when poured as a regular patio. So, this criteria shots down most outdoor tile projects.

There are many other requirements for a successful outdoor tile job. Tell us if your slope meets the above requirements and we will continue.

Jaz