can I modify grout lines?

Old 07-03-07, 01:51 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy can I modify grout lines?

I recently had part of my kitchen floor done and was on vacation at the time and was unable to supervise. The new grout lines are flush with the tile and my old grout lines are recessed. I think it looks ghastly and want to know if it is possible to "take down" these new grout lines to match the depth of the old and make a more uniform looking floor. The new area hasn't been sealed but the job is now over a week old and sanded grout was used.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-07, 03:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You may be able to get a grout removal type tool and get it down to the height of the existing lines.

If the tiles are nice and flush, you could probably use a router with good bit on there.

Set the depth of the bit to the depth of the existing grout.

Old 07-03-07, 05:53 PM
S
Oh boy, not intending to sound argumentative here, but I wouldn't advise the router thing. The "grout removal type tool" is a grout saw and may work if you're persistent and careful. The business end of the thing is not teeth, it's a rough abrasive and works well to remove grout. Problem is, it has a round profile so the grout against the tile will have that shape instead of being flat across. I suppose you could lower the grout as much as you want with the saw and then try carving the edges with a chisel, using it as a knife instead of a chisel. I'd still be nervous of chipping the edges of the tiles. Can you saw the lower areas instead and then grout them up to the new instead of trying to take the new down? Less chance of damaging tiles that way. It'll be pretty tough to get a smooth, flat surface on the grout you're trying to get down with a grout saw.