Please give some tips/advice on the correct way to grout

Old 07-04-07, 08:27 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Please give some tips/advice on the correct way to grout

I am getting ready to grout my first tile job. I laid 12x12 porcelain tiles w/ 1/4 grout lines. I have never done this before and I'm curious as what is the best way to make this a smooth operation
Is it best to grout a manageable section and sponge clean as you go? Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-07, 10:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
When I did my first tile job, I found it better to apply the grout in about a 4x4' section the wipe down the tile carefully with a damp sponge. This will make clean up when you are completely done a little easier.

Grouting is easy, just take your time and make sure you have packed the grout in sufficently.

Good luck!

Old 07-04-07, 05:12 PM
G
Is there a wait time from the time you apply grout and wipe the surface clean? I'm asking because I imagine the grout coming out of the lines as you wipe the surface clean.

Old 07-04-07, 05:21 PM
Wait until you see it start to haze over on the surface of the tile, unless its in direct sunlight, then no more than 5 minutes

Old 07-04-07, 08:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I did my 5x6 floor at one time. I used a dark grout and wanted it to match through the whole floor. Make sure you use the correct sponge and have at least a couple 5 gal buckets of clean water. Change the water to keep it clean. My tile had rough corners on the edges so the grout looked rough until the level of the grout met the smooth edge of the tile. I think you will know what I mean if you look at the edges of your tile. I grouted the whole floor, let it set for about five or so. I sponged the grout line pretty aggressively until they were at the correct level and then eased up with the sponge wiping until my tile was clean. Lots of rinsing. I used a piece of plywood to kneel on so I could work the whole floor. It came out wonderful, but I have to admit I put it off a few days worrying about it. This was my first tile floor project. Have fun and ask a lot of questions here.

Old 07-04-07, 09:00 PM
G
Thanks for the tips so far. The area is about 10x10 and it will probably wait a few days until my day off. I want to be able to start it and get it done so all the grout will match (color wise).

michaelshortt - What is the correct sponge? I bought sponges with one side rough.... are they ok?

Old 07-04-07, 09:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I bought a sponge in the tile area of one of the big stores. I understand a normal sponge may fall apart from the rough surface. Some one else might jump in wih more help.

Old 07-05-07, 02:56 AM
S
Use a sponge made for the job. A regular household sponge is too soft and gets too far down into the grout joints, removing too much grout during the washing stage. They're available at most well stocked flooring stores.