slate tile install

Old 07-07-07, 11:45 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
slate tile install

I now have hardwood in my kitchen and would like to replace it with slate. The hardwood runs under my cabinets. Is it necessary to remove the hardwood? Can the slate be set on it? If slate must be set on concrete board, I am afraid concrete board over the existing hard wood will raise the existing floor too much. So, can the hardwood be removed? If so, is this cost prohibitive?? What would removing the hardwood entail? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-07, 12:57 AM
S
In so far as the concrete board is concerned, it must be used regardless what is under it if it is anything other than a concrete slab. Putting concrete board on the hardwood will result in a failed floor and slate is too expensive for that. Either the hardwood has to go or a layer of good grade plywood will have to go over it and then the concrete board. By the time you do all that, you're sure to have height issues. It would really be best to remove the hardwood and start over. Cost will depend on if you do it your self or hire it done, but it is definitely doable.

Old 07-08-07, 03:57 AM
T
For either stone or ceramic, the hardwood needs to go. Seasonally, there is too much movement in the hardwood for a stone or ceramic installation to survive. Anyone who tells you differently is wrong. Rent a "toe kick saw" from your local tool rental place which will allow you to cut through the hardwood right along the toe kicks. Then you need to come back with at a minimum, another layer of 1/2" plywood (depends upon your subfloor thickness) screwed to the existing subfloor. Stone installs need a double layer of plywood.

Then you will need a tile underlayment. While cement board is one type, it's certainly not the only one, just the heaviest. Noble's CIS would work as good as any concrete board and it's only 1/16" thick. Schluter's Ditra would be more readily available and is only 1/8" thick installed. Either membrane will out perform cement board and not create any significant height build up.

But before ripping out hardwood, need to know the suporting structure information. Measure the size of your joists, their spacing and how long they span below as measured from supporting beams or walls. See if you can determine the thickness of your subfloor, but at the very least the material used for your subfloor and post all that info back here.