Removing Ceramic Tile from Concrete

Old 07-10-07, 10:39 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing Ceramic Tile from Concrete

I am planning on ripping up some old ceramic tile that is currently on concrete. I am wondering how to best go about this? and any advice to make this as painless as possible. I am planning on putting laminate flooring down on the concrete afterwards so I want to keep the concrete damage to as little as possible.

Any Advice is greatly appreciated..

J.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-07, 11:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If it's a floating laminate, then you can just go over the top of the tile.

Removing the tile will be a pain if they are adhered correctly.

Depending on the square footage, you can rent a portable air chisel from Home Depot. This will make life a little easier but messy.

There is no "easy" way of doing it.

Old 07-10-07, 01:30 PM
L
Hmmm.,.

The area that I am going to be installing the floating floor is currently 90% carpet and 10% tile. I am going to be replacing all of it with laminate. Going over the existing tile isn't really an option because the floor would be higher than the currently carpeted area. I could put in a transition there but I like to do things the nice, proper way from the get go.

I will try to use a cold chisel and hammer and if that doesn't work I will look into renting a portable air chisel.

The amount of tile I will need to remove is probably about a 50 sq feet entrance way. I guess a little sweat now will make me enjoy the new floor all the more when its done....I was hoping to hear of a "Mary Poppins" solution....

J.

Old 07-10-07, 02:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That "Poppins" solution to this would be to hire someone to do it, but that what defeat the purpose of this website.

You "may" chip some areas of the slab but dont worry, these places can be easily patched.