Problem with uneven tile...

Old 07-11-07, 07:49 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem with uneven tile...

My home is almost 3 years old. The first owners lived in it for about ten months and then moved home to Texas. When I bought the home at 10 months old, I don't recall any uneven tile. Since that time, it seems as though the porcelain tiles throughout the house have risen in relation to each other. The marble tile in the bathroom seem to do it as well but much less noticeable. It's easy to tell when walking barefooted that many edges and corners are higher than others. I've also noticed in the garage that the bare concrete floor seems to have become a bit wavy. When I say "wavy" I mean just noticeable uneveness probably measured in millimeters. Just what feel like slight dips or ridges. I can feel this beneath the carpet in the bedrooms as well. I will also mention that the floor going towards the Breakfast area has a downward slant not greater than a half inch. This seems to have always been, because the quarter round follows the slant of the floor and remains paintted to the baseboard with no cracks in the paint.

Sorry for being longwinded but I'm concerned. What's wrong with the tile? Is this progressive? Will it stop at some point if it is progressive? Is it possible for a slab to become more uneven and wavy over time,not just sinking but also slight rises and dips? How would you level the floor if it was uneven from the start?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-07, 10:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I doubt the tile moved. If it has, then the grout would be cracked. Tile and grout are very unforgiving when it comes to any movement or flex. I think you are just noticing this over time and didn't really pay attention to it before.

It sounds like a poor install job. Sounds like they did not level the floor prior to installing the tile.

Old 07-11-07, 11:25 AM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Agreed. If you had that kind of movement in the concrete slab you'd have cracked, loose tile and cracked loose grout. You probably didnt notice it before you bought it. Walking around with no shoes on will always bring a bad installation to your attention if you had not noticed it before.

Old 07-11-07, 12:19 PM
J
Thanks.

So, how would the floor be levelled prior to install? Or, what would best remedt the situation? Would it be correct to assume then that uneveness of a slab/floor is common though still a sign of poor workmanship?

I've noticed small ,fine cracks in the slab in the garage( doors don't stick, drywall only with a few very fine cracks in corners over floating tape). They appear to be only superficial near the surface. Is that part of normal settling?

Old 07-12-07, 04:58 PM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Some slabs are flat and some are not. Large format tiles need an almost perfectly flat surface. Any high spots in the floor will result in lippage such as what you have. Before setting the tile you need to evaluate the floor for flatness. If there are high spots you can grind them down. If their are low spots you can fill them in with a self leveling compound or cement based patching compound. I dont install directly over concrete anymore. I use an uncoulpling membrane (ditra) over the slab to isolate any movement and minor cracking of the slab from the tile above.