Dryset Tile Repair

Old 07-11-07, 04:37 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Dryset Tile Repair

Doing a small repair to a bathroom that has tile layed over a dryset mortar bed. The contractors who installed the tile did not ensure sufficient stiffness to the floor and several tiles have worked loose. We have gotten under the house and shored up the subfloor with a 2x8 girder system set with jack posts perpendicular to the joists to get rid of the excess deflection in the floor. BTW it is a small bathroom, only 6ft by 6ft.

Two tiles have worked loose and the dryset bed has disintigrated under these tiles. My question, can the dryset be rebuilt up for these two tiles using Modified Thinset instead of trying to replace the dryset? Looking to repair and hope not to have to replace. The rest of the tiles all sound solid.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-07, 09:14 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'd certainly give it a try, Not much to lose and a lot to gain if it works. Sounds to me as if it should work.

Old 07-12-07, 03:36 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for the positive tone. I was concerned that building up with Modified Thinset to an inch or so thickness might be an problem.

I have only 3 tiles left over from the original job and if the 2 that I use fail on the repair, I will have to replace the entire floor. Not much room for error.

You know, the original contractor, used a 2x4 5ft long with a single jack post support in the middle to try to stiffen the floor. What kind of nonsense is that? It provided about as much support as a wet noodle.

Old 07-12-07, 06:30 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
People are always trying to "save money". In the long run, they seldom do. Most money savers cost somebody big down the road. I've seen lots of contractors do stuff like that knowing it will last long enough for them to be out of the picture so someone else will have to deal with it.

As to your repair, you may want to wait to do anything until you get some more opinions. I've never tried what you propose, but it sounds like it should work.

Old 07-12-07, 06:42 AM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I'd use something more suited for that thickness, a cement based patching compound. Thinset that thick will likely shrink and crack. If the bed has "disintigrated" as you describe it, there must have been a real lot of movement. I'm wondering if its possible that the deck mud wasnt drymixed properly and that one spot perhaps was nothing more than sand (no portland cement) to begin with.