Removing grout from around toilet

Old 07-26-07, 01:58 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing grout from around toilet

The lovely people who owned my house before me decided to install their new ceramic tile around the old toilet. So now my toilet is basically cemented to the floor by a nice 3/4" seal of grout. I'm not just talking around the base, I'm talking 3/4" up onto the base.
I've tried scraping it away but it will not budge. I'm afraid the only way I'm going to be able to replace the toilet is to remove and replace the tile as well.
Does anybody have any advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-07, 02:37 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Hammer and chisel with a light touch (don't just go to town on the area). Work on small sections at a time & be careful not to force it. Some sections will pop out, others will hold on for dear life. You can also take a razor knife with a dull blade and pull it across it. This is more like shaving it off one layer at a time. Work on the grout only and avoid tapping directly on the tile or toilet. With patience you can work the toilet free.

If you are replacing the toilet, try to get one with a similar footprint (square or rounded base). You will still have the issue of how to seal the new unit in place. Make the decision after the old toilet is out if the floor needs to be changed anyway. If you replace the flooring, I would tile under the toilet.

Old 07-26-07, 04:49 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't recommend an approach involving hammering around a toilet. They break easy. Get a grout saw at a hardware store and saw it out. The saw won't hurt the porcelain but will remove the grout.