Baseboards before tile?

Old 08-23-07, 05:37 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Baseboards before tile?

I am putting tile in a bathroom in a new basement construction. I have forgotten the order on the trim. I seem to remember you put the baseboards in then lay down the ceramic tile, leaving a quarter inch expansion gap between baseboard and tile edge. Then shoe moulding to cover the gap.

Is this correct, or do you put baseboards on after setting the tile?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Old 08-23-07, 06:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
No, baseboards go in last to make a nice finish. Tile all the way to the bottom plate if you want too, then install baseboard over tile.

Old 08-23-07, 10:33 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
What would be the point of a gap between trim and tile if there's shoe touching the tile anyway? Personally, I don't like the look of shoe anyway. I'd tile first and put the baseboard on top of it - that's how we do it around here.

Old 08-24-07, 04:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I've painted base over tile both ways. Installing the base last is definetly easier on the painter but usually requires shoe mould to hide most of the gap. Probably the best way is to tile, install pre painted base and then grout. Of course the base will still need 1 more coat of enamel.

Old 08-24-07, 07:52 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
New construction. Tile first. Leave 1/4" space around the tile at the perimeter of the room for expansion/movement. Tile needs to have space to move. Dont grout that space, caulk it if you want to or leave it open. The base moulding will cover the gap. Dont grout the joint between the base and the tile. If theres some space you need to hide, caulk it, dont grout it. Paint it like marksr said.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: