Ceramic U cut???

Old 08-26-07, 12:16 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceramic U cut???

I need to tile from one room to the next....except the doorway is gets in the way.....so I need to make a 'U' cut. Cutting the two parallel lines is no problem with the water saw, but how do I make the perpendicular cut (the bottom of the U)?

These are 17" tiles and very thick. I don't think that scoring it with the dry tile cutter would be much use. The shop that I bought the tiles from was no help.

Old 08-26-07, 01:15 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Trace the cutout on the tile. Cut the two side lines back to the end line. Make a series of diagonal cuts withing the U cutting away as much of the bulk of the material as posible. Nibble and grind away the rest with the cutting edge of the blade. Hold the front of the tile at an angle to the blade so you can make the back edge cut nice and clean and straight. Take your time so you dont break the tile.

Old 08-26-07, 02:56 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
First make the two end cut lines (sides of the U). Then I make a series of ribbon type cuts 1/4" wide with the wet saw across the whole inner part of the U. When complete, tap the ribbons and they will fall out. Use tile nippers to shape/clean up the bottom part of the U. If this section is to be hidden under the door jamb then you need not be overly neat with the cut. If the edge is to be exposed, then use the shaving method mentioned above.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: