Premixed Grout or not?

Old 08-28-07, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Premixed Grout or not?

I finished up installing ceramic tile in my small bathroom (4' x 5' tiled area) yesterday, and it was my first tiling experience.

I'm doing the grouting tomorrow. What I need to know is if premixed grout is decent to work with, is it quality, or should I opt for buying the dry mix and mixing myself? I've also been reading that a latex additive can be better than mixing with water; can you even buy a premixed latex additive grout?

My rationale is that it is a small area, but any input would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-07, 03:05 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
NOT. Its not really grout, its caulk in a bucket. Get yourself a portland cement based grout you buy in a bag and mix with water. If your interested in adding a latex additive read the instructions on the grout. It will tell you if you can or cant. Each manufacturer makes their own additive. In your case its not necessary though. Seal the grout according to manufacturers instructions. You didnt use premixed thinset or mastic to set the tile I hope - right?

Old 08-28-07, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi,

Pre-mixed anything are not recommended by the pros. There have been many cases of people having big problems. In the case of pre-mixed grout, the most common complaint is the failure of the product ever setting up. It a big waste of time and the products are not good, although they cost 3-4 times more.

You should use regular grout that comes in powder form. Most of the grouts out there are 'polymer modified, or fortified' and are mixed with plain water.

Jaz