Oversized tile in tiny bathroom layout problem

Old 09-12-07, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oversized tile in tiny bathroom layout problem

Hi everyone- here's my dilemma. I have 17.3" tiles to place in a 58" X 58" bathroom. I would like to keep as many of the full-sized tiles as possible. That comes out to 9 tiles. What do I do about the 3" or so border going square around the room?? The research I've done on tile layout suggests keeping at least half the tile for borders- not possible here! Do I cut little strips of tile to go all around? I'm really, really stuck here guys- any help would be a godsend
Sincerely,
Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-07, 10:06 PM
Hi Dan,

Try this:

|___11.7"___|_____17.3"______|______17.3"______|___11.7"____|

Of course you'll use 16 tiles.

Jaz

Old 09-13-07, 04:13 PM
thanks Jaz

Hey, thanks Jaz- I'm going to do it that way! I'll post back here tonight and let you know how it turns out!
Dan

Old 09-13-07, 06:07 PM
OK, good, I'll be waiting to hear the results.

Jaz

Old 09-13-07, 08:04 PM
Make it interesting. There are all sorts of pattern tile strips available to lay down the middle, around the edge, or wherever to break the monotony of tile.

Pop a string line from corner to corner so you have an X in the middle of the room. Start your tile in the four sections.

Jaz has the simple solution. Are you simple or creative?

Old 09-13-07, 09:24 PM
Hey Jaz- I went with your layout, and it worked like a charm! I cut and laid out all the tile tonight, and will grout tomorrow- I took before and after pics - as soon as I find the cable that attaches from my camera to the computer, I'll post them here- should be tomorrow night or so.

MdTaylor- hey! Thanks for that advice. The funny thing is I was thinking of doing that exact thing today when I went to Home Depot to pick up some grout, and saw all the great travertine-style borders. Because the space is so small, I'm going to save those decorative borders for the full bath, which I'm tackling next.