Tile Subfloor Question

Old 09-19-07, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tile Subfloor Question

I recently purchased a house of which the kitchen floor was a couple layers of vinyl flooring. The previous owners had planned to lay ceramic tile, and had already found a bunch at a good price (13x13 porcelain) and never got around to actually doing the work before they had to sell the house. So, I have this tile and wanted to install it before moving completely in.

Under the vinyl, there is a layer of 1/4" thick fiberock over what looks to be 3/4" pressed wood. All of this is on top of 9" floor joists on 16" centers above a large crawlspace. I am concerned about the strength of the floor, as well as the fact that I have read that the fiberock should have thinset under it, and it does not look as though it does currently. I really would rather not replace the wood, and was wondering what I should do to properly strengthen the floor. If it requires having the entire floor pulled up, then I will probably just stick with vinyl flooring.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-07, 07:45 PM
Give us a first name otherwise we'll have to call you Dork.

When covered with vinyl, Fiberock does not require thinset under it. For ceramic it does. To do the job right it'll need to be removed. It probably has vinyl glue on it anyway doesn't it?

You also need to identify that pressed wood. If it's OSB it should be OK to keep it. If the pressed wood is particle board it really should go too.....even if you go with vinyl again.

Let us know what that subfloor sheet is and we'll offer more advice. While you're at it, go in the crawl and measure the unsupported span of those 2 x 10 joists. With that info we'll be able to confirm the subfloor system is strong enough for tile.

Jaz

Old 09-19-07, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Give us a first name otherwise we'll have to call you Dork.
fine with me

When covered with vinyl, Fiberock does not require thinset under it. For ceramic it does. To do the job right it'll need to be removed. It probably has vinyl glue on it anyway doesn't it?
Yes, I was afraid of that... I am guessing that it is unlikely that I can reuse what I have if I pulled it up... And if I need to replace it, I should maybe go with something besides fiberock?

You also need to identify that pressed wood. If it's OSB it should be OK to keep it. If the pressed wood is particle board it really should go too.....even if you go with vinyl again.
Yea I forgot to look for a marking. It is not particle board like MDF, it is something like OSB, at least from pictures I can find online. I can find more info tomorrow.

Let us know what that subfloor sheet is and we'll offer more advice. While you're at it, go in the crawl and measure the unsupported span of those 2 x 10 joists. With that info we'll be able to confirm the subfloor system is strong enough for tile.
I'd estimate 9 to 10 feet long under a galley style kitchen between a garage and an outside wall, so I don't think the span is an issue.

Old 09-19-07, 09:54 PM
OK, I'll wait until you post again letting us know what kind of subfloor you have.

When was the house built? Particle board has tiny particles of wood glued together. OSB, Oriented Strand Board, had wafers of elongated wood that are arranged to form a strong board.

Jaz