Good or Bad Tile Removal?

Old 09-19-07, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Good or Bad Tile Removal?

I installed my porcelain tile floor and had one damaged tile I removed before starting to grout. I had a slightly thick bed of mortar, and to remove the tile I was told to cut an "x" in the tile and chip with chisel/hammer slowly and it would come up in one piece.
Not believing it... half of a tile came up in one piece and then the other half. I followed instructions to the T when installing the tile (mapei poly-modif mortar) and the floor is hard and sturdy as hell... but I feel like it should not have come up in one piece.. is this typical for removal?
It took several angled hits to the chisel directly beneath the tile but it popped up after a bit and had the imprint in the mortar below. (btw coverage looked about 95% from the imprint).

Many thanks for input.
KDC23

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-07, 07:00 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Not to worry, while you can walk on the tile in 24 hours, it takes substantially longer than that for the thinset to fully reach full shear strength. If you try to remove a tile a month from now, it wont be nearly that easy. Yes this is common.

Old 09-20-07, 07:04 AM
Thanks Johnny.
However I think its been about 2 months already, roughly.
Granted the tile seems set well and firm.
But thanks for the reassurance...
KDC23

Old 09-20-07, 09:39 AM
KDC

Dont loose any sleep over this. I wouldnt assume that there are any problems until one develops. The way you describe the floor, it sounds rock solid. Most likely everything is fine.

2 months and no grout, sounds like you been taking it easy over the summer, no.

Last edited by HeresJohnny; 09-20-07 at 09:42 AM. Reason: needed to add wisecrack
Old 09-20-07, 04:59 PM
Thanks Johnny. I will do my best... sleep is golden these days.

As for the taking it easy... lets just say my wife and I decided to get new cabinets "AFTER" I started the tile. Not the proper order for decision making.. so while we sorted out our many trips to HDepot & Lowes and finally settled on cabinets, waited for shipping.. sent some back that were damaged... rec'd more.. sent some back that were damaged.. rec'd more... and all is in... well.. a couple months will do that. I learn my lessons the hard way unfortunately.

But thanks for the help and reassurance! I wont sweat it anymore.
KDC23

Old 09-20-07, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the help again.. here are some pics for more of a visual of my first-time tile project that i'm doing/finishing up. This is from about 2 weeks ago.. so its actually done now (not grouted yet).. just the one tile I was fixing. Let me know what you think and.... be gentle!!!!

Pic,Pic,Pic,Pic,Pic,Pic,Pic,Pic
Pic,Pic,Pic,Pic,Pic

KDC23

Old 09-23-07, 07:02 AM
KDC

I think it looks great.