Wide Gap between Tile and Entry Door

Old 09-23-07, 07:14 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wide Gap between Tile and Entry Door

Hello,
I recently had a entry door installed. Inside, we have a small tiled entry area in front of the door.

After the door was installed a 2x36 inch strip was left, exposing the sub-flooring. This gap was not as wide with the previous door due to a different type of threshold. I think it was previously filled in with grout.

The contractor who installed the door recommended I lay a strip of wood in the gap to fill in the space then lay a coating of sanded grout on top of it. I'm concerned that the gap is too wide and will cause the grout to crack.

Was the contractor correct or should I consider a different option?

Thanks!

Old 09-23-07, 09:10 PM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It'll look fine in the dark.

Your contractor was just trying to figure out a way to leave quick. That is not going to work.

Was your old threshold an unusual size or something? Someone should have told you before hand that you were going to have a wide gap.

Jaz

Old 09-24-07, 05:26 AM
T
I figured... I was getting suspicious when they started lowering their voices so I couldn't hear them.

The other threshold (very old) had a wood component that came inside a little bit. The new one is more flush with the door frame.

Honestly, it didn't look very good to begin with. I will try to get a pic online when I get home. Perhaps I can fill the space with tile or a strip of finished wood.

Old 09-24-07, 08:41 PM
S
Jazman is correct, the suggested fix is no fix. I like the finished wood idea myself. It should look nice and will remain that way much longer than the suggested fix.

Old 09-25-07, 07:05 AM
M
Had you considered getting some decorative tile that would be decoratively compatable with your existing tile to fill the gap. Don't go to a big box store, their selections are too limited, try a store that sells tile only. They will surely have something you can use. Your cost, the tile ( how much can it be its only a 2 x 36 area), a little adhesive, and a little grout. think of it as a listello on the floor. Done tastefully, with a tasteful tile, it can look as if it were planned.

Good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: