pulling up linoleum basic questions

Old 09-25-07, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pulling up linoleum basic questions

I'm thinking about replacing the bathroom linoleum with tile. I just wanted to know if you need a permit to pull up linoleum (I'm pretty sure you don't with carpet at least in NC). And do I need to worry at all about asbestos. The house was built in 1985. I have been trying to find an official site that has the last year asbestos could be legally used. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-07, 05:58 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by goldfita View Post
I'm thinking about replacing the bathroom linoleum with tile. I just wanted to know if you need a permit to pull up linoleum (I'm pretty sure you don't with carpet at least in NC). And do I need to worry at all about asbestos. The house was built in 1985. I have been trying to find an official site that has the last year asbestos could be legally used. thanks
hi abestos was used before the 70
you do not need a permit i live in Nc and i retile all the hallways and the bathrooms

Old 09-25-07, 08:40 PM
You don't need a permit to replace floor covering anywhere. But I don't agree with the date when asbestos was last used in floor coverings. I'm sure it was still in some tiles and in the backing of many sheet vinyl floors well into the '80's.

If your sheet vinyl has a stiff whitish backing, chances are it's got asbestos in it. You can have it tested if you'd like. What type of subfloor is this over? Very important.

Jaz

Old 09-28-07, 07:50 AM
I removed the transition and tried to take a peek. There appears to be plywood under the carpet. The linoleum is glued down to an older piece of linoleum and what's under that I'm not exactly sure (but probably plywood). It's below the plywood that the carpet is on.

Since there is an older piece underneath, I could cut off a little piece and have it tested. Can this be done for a reasonable price?

Old 10-01-07, 10:13 PM
How does the carpet figure into this? Sheet vinyl is usually installed over new 1/4" underlayment stapled to the subfloor. Your 1985 built home probably has 3/4" subfloor. You need to check how the floor is constructed before we can give you good advice.

If you do have 1/4" underlayment, you will remove it with both layers of vinyl still attached. This way any possible asbestos doesn't matter.

Let us know what you find out so we can guide you to the next step.

Jaz

Old 10-02-07, 08:42 AM
The carpet transitions into the vinyl. I just noticed that it was sitting up higher (on plywood) than the vinyl when I removed the transition.

Is there a safe, easy way to check without wrecking the floor? I haven't made any decisions, so I don't want to irreparably mess anything up at this point.