butt joint granite tile

Old 09-25-07, 05:55 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
butt joint granite tile

Hi All
I have black granite tile and would like to redo kitchen countertop.
I do not want any grout line
is it possible to butt joint my tile and have no grout line?
can some one give me some pointer not to have the thin set to come up between the tiles

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-07, 06:32 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
pg

This question comes up often. Theres lots of reasons why you shouldnt. No matter how hard you try, there will be some space between the tiles, even though you may not see it. Spilled liquids and all kinds of goodies will find their way into the gaps and youll have an uncontrollable mess on your hand in no time. Additionally, with no space between the tile youll have an impossible time getting each tile perfectly flat to the tiles next to it on all four corners (lippage). A small grout line will hide very minor lippage but butted tiles wont. Its also difficult to set each tile with no thinset purging through the joints that will keep the tiles apart. My opinion and the opinion of most is that it shouldnt be done. That said, some will tell you its ok to do. If you dont want grout joints, get a slab.

Old 09-25-07, 06:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
To do this without grout would mean each tile had to be cut and installed perfectly. That never happens. Do a 1/16" grout line.

Old 09-26-07, 07:58 AM
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
I used granite tiles to face a fireplace and hearth. Unlike most porcelain and ceramic tiles that have a slightly rolled edge, the granite tile I used had edges that were fairly square. However the edges are not perfect. I don't see any way you could get a butt joint without imperfections.

With square edges you can get a narrow grout line. Instead of normal grout, I used an epoxy filler colored to closely match the stone.