Sturdiness of Cement Backer Board

Old 10-01-07, 04:55 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sturdiness of Cement Backer Board

Hello

I have a couple pieces of 1/2" thick cement backer board I plan to use on the walls of my shower. I had the sheets leaning against a wall, fairly vertical. Unfortunately, a slight buckle along the longer dimension had formed(learned my lesson, laying them flat for now on).

I laid the sheets on the floor and walked on top to flatten them. As a result, the sheets have a couple hairline cracks across the surface.

Will I have problems using these sheets under tile on my shower walls? What about using them on the floor? Will the thin-set used under the tiles help re-enforce the material?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 10-01-07, 09:20 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hairline cracks are inevitable with products like that and is one reason for the fiberglass reinforcing wrap. It would be impossible to handle them without developing hairline cracks. You can use them either on walls or floors.

When installed on floors, don't forget the thinset under the boards too, and the tape. Are you up to speed on how this is done and why? Have you checked the subfloor for proper stiffness for tile? What kind of tiles? Have you ever done this before? Have you read all the instructions for all the products you're going to use?

Jaz

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: