Remove and reinstall tile

Old 10-02-07, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remove and reinstall tile

I'm in the process of replacing the neo-angle shower unit that was installed in my master bathroom. The unit that I removed was cheap and leaking. The new unit's shower pan has a larger footprint. So, I had to remove several 12in tiles so that I can install the shower pan. My intent is to then replace the tile around the new shower pan.

The floor has cement backerboard right up to where the old shower pan was and the pan was resting right on the plywood subfloor. I plan to fit backerboard over the exposed plywood so that the new shower pan rests on backerboard.

So, here's my question....
I've been working my a$$ off trying to remove as much of the mortar that is under the old tile as I can....however, it seems like a virtually impossible task to get all the mortar removed and leave the backerboard relatively intact. How good of a job do I have to do in removing this mortar before I get to work replacing the tile over it? If I lay a thin layer of mortar over the remnants of the old will the new tiles adhere properly? In my inexperienced mind, it seems like it would be ok as long as there is not a huge height difference.

Help!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-07, 11:59 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Try to remove as much of the thinset as possible. An angle grinder may help but it will kick up lots of dust. You can fill in any holes in the cement board with thinset. If you dont remove most of the thinset, the new tiles will sit proud of the old and it will be noticeable. If your asking if thinset will bond to thinset, yes it sure will.

Old 10-03-07, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't know what your using but try using a floor chisel. It has a thin blade on it unlike a cold chisel. Try to get it as smooth as poss.