Need a little advice

Old 10-21-07, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need a little advice

I am getting ready to tile a slab floor. In one doorway, a pocket door, the tile will abut carpet in the adjoining room. Right now there is a gold, metal strip that the edge of the carpet is secured to. It is not directly under the door pathway. It is on the carpet side of the door so that when the door is closed the tile will be directly under the door, when it is closed.

Not sure how to transition the tile to the carpet. Should I just tile up to that gold strip, or should I remove it and install something else, or maybe nothing...just tile right up to the carpet. But that doesn't seem real practical, at least not to me.

I'm confused here and could use some advice.

Thanks...Randy

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-07, 06:35 PM
Never mind. I came up with a pretty nifty plan on my own.

Why can't I edit or delete my original message?

Old 10-21-07, 06:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The edited function terminates after 10-15 mins I think. What's your plan going to be?

Normally you would remove that gold carpet strip and install a transition strip that goes under the tile and over the carpet.

Old 10-30-07, 01:26 AM
Sorry taking so long to get back to this.

Interesting what you suggested, HotinOKC. That's exactly what I did. I didn't find anything that I liked at any of the stores so I made my own transition out of a piece of oak I had laying around. Hardest part was dadoing out the flap that went underneath the tile, and attaching it to the slab floor. Then I dadoed out about half of the other side, from the bottom, to allow the carpet a groove to tuck into. I finished it to match the rest of the wood trim in the room and it looks pretty good. I just hope the carpet will stay put in that groove. There is a tack strip just behind the transition so it should be OK.

But now I have another question about a different doorway transition. This one is from the same room leading out to the garage. Same slab floor and same tile. The tile are 5/16" thick. I found this plastic transition strip at home depot that I think will work good for this situation. Since this is my first time tiling a slab floor I'm not quite sure how to attach it. Does it just get glued to the floor using the thinset, and the tile hold it in place, or is it supposed to be attached by some mechanical means prior to installing the tile? Here's a link to the web site showing what I bought:

http://www.qep.com/index.cfm?fuseact...ct_ID=10814-12

Thanks for your time. I appreciate it.

Randy