how much to remove?

Old 10-24-07, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how much to remove?

I am planning on installing new ceramic 12 x 12 tiles in my kitchen. The kitchen was redone in the mid 90's. with vinyl tiles over 1/4 inch plywood. The base is a hard wood floor (the house is from 1936 so I don't think ply wood was around). The 1/4 inch ply wood comes up (with some encouragement) and under that is a black waxy goo over the hardwood. My plan was to put thin set down then cement board on top before doing the tiling. Is that okay or do I need to pull up the black goo. I hope not and I hope it isn't asbestos but since the kicthen was redone in 90s, I don't think it is.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-07, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You should not install any cement backer board over hardwood, it's been done, but not recommended. High failure rate. You really need to remove the hardwood and replace it with new plywood underlayment. The thickness depends on the subfloor that is left. Left us know what the subfloor is made of.

Jaz

Old 10-26-07, 07:58 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Minger

Do you really have hardwood or are you referring to subfloor planking (not a finished hardwood floor) in place of plywood. If planking is the case, you could go over the planking with 1/2" plywood. You could then use cement board or an isolation membrane over the plywood, then ceramic tile. This is of course after removing the vinyl and underlayment.

If you really have a finished hardwood floor there, then as mentioned, it has to go.