Floor Levelling

Old 11-30-07, 06:00 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Floor Levelling

Hi. I'm redoing a washroom.... about 5'X8'. It's a 2nd floor washroom and the floor joist run along the length of the room. Just my luck, the 2 joist in the middle of the room are high leaving about 1/4 inch gap on either side of the room. I know there are levelers our there but they seem like a nightmare to use. I also have an issue in that the washroom floor butts up against existing 3/4 oak flooring and I'd like to keep these at the same height. I pulled off the old ceramics and the 1/4 inch underlayment. So I now have exactly 3/4" to work with and it is at a point that is lower than the area where the joists are higher. Here was my plan.... lay down some thinset over the subfloor (5/8" tongue and groove) and put down a piece of wonderboard in such a way that I level the wonderboard.... that it I compress it more in the area where my joists are high. Of course I'm concerned when I go to screw it in he lower sections that it may compress too much there and it will leave my floor unlevel yest again. But I'm not sure how pliable wonderboard is and I was hoping that it would be difficult to make it bend 1/4". As I write this it is becoming apparent that this probably isn't going to work. But I'd appreciating hearing from the experts. Of course the best way I guess would be to lift the subfloor and plane down the joists.... but I really, really don't want to do that. Let me know what anyone thinks. Thanks!

Old 11-30-07, 06:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is there a way for you to rip up this subfloor and sister joists to the existing ones to level it up with the others?

Old 11-30-07, 07:43 PM
P
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
Is there a way for you to rip up this subfloor and sister joists to the existing ones to level it up with the others?
Thanks. There is but I really, really, really don't want to do it. But you're right. If I want to do it properly I'll have to tackle it... rats..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: