Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Is Removing Ceramic Tile and Prepping then Staining Concrete a DIY Project?

Old 12-05-07, 03:03 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have 20 year old ceramic tile in my kitchen, dining room and den. I've pulled up the carpet from the living room area and found concrete in good condition. What are the steps to removing the concrete tile, cleaning up the black gook stuck underneath and prepping the concrete underneath for interior concrete staining? I am pretty inexperienced with puttering about the house, and don't want to undertake a project that is out of my league.

The other alternative would be just to slap some laminate on top, but this would cost about $2K for a rental and, as a student, I'm more willing to accept having to labor a little harder than spend the money.

Your feedback would be awesome!

Old 12-07-07, 07:35 AM
M
Are you set on staining the concrete, or have you considered painting it instead? That "black gook stuck underneath" is very hard to completely remove and might show through a stain.

Old 12-07-07, 01:00 PM
E
If it is "black gook" under the tile, then it is not ceramic tile. It would be some sort of vinyl composition tile, I would think.
If this is some type of black adhesive (cutback) it would be very difficult to remove enough of it to be able to stain the concrete. I am thinking rugs!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: