Slate tile

Old 12-23-07, 11:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 200 Votes on 178 Posts
Slate tile

I'm going to start this question here rather then the cleaning section. I hope some one can help because by supplier does not. I built a sauna with a slate tile floor (4"x4") and some larger tile on the wall (12"x12"). After I set the tile I put two coats of sealer on it as recommended so the grout would not stick on the face of the tile. Grouting went just fine and I am very happy with how it came out. I the put two more coats of sealer on the whole thing. This is a Finnish sauna where we use it to take steam and wash our selfs so we use a lot of water. We are now getting some "rust" staining on the 12"x12" tiles. The floor tile is showing no staining. The two tiles are different types of slate which I think is why one is staining and one is not. I can remove the stains just fine using vinegar and water but it comes back rather quickly. I have since put on two more coats of sealer ($32 a quart ) and still getting the stains. Our water is softened and we get no rust in our plumbing fixtures. My supplier (tile store not a big box store) said was they never heard of this problem and suggested I seal it. (Duh! ) Not so funny thing is my boss put slate in a bathroom shower and is having the same problem. (slate from the same place ) Would something like this be a better sealer? : http://www.behr.com/behrx/act/view/p...ialty&catId=10

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-07, 01:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've heard that slate coming from Mexico have this issue. Something to do with the iron oxide in the stone.

Light most tiles, a cleaning with some sulfamic acid may help some of it, but you will probably never get it all. Clean it and seal with good pentrating sealer like you got.

Old 12-23-07, 09:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 200 Votes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
I've heard that slate coming from Mexico have this issue. Something to do with the iron oxide in the stone.

Light most tiles, a cleaning with some sulfamic acid may help some of it, but you will probably never get it all. Clean it and seal with good pentrating sealer like you got.
Are you talking about the one I have linked? Or the stuff I was using before? ($32 stuff)