Tiling Party

Old 12-27-07, 08:54 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tiling Party

Greetings,

I live in an old (1912) house and have decided to tile our kitchen floor, ~275 sq ft. The room is oddly shaped and has a peninsula in the center. The current flooring situation is odd even for a house this old. The current floor has the following layers:

0. 2x10 joists (actual, not nominal)
1. 3/4 in. tongue-in-groove subfloor
2. 1/4 in. "something" like plywood
3. Vinyl floor covering; sheet not tile
4. 3/4 in. tongue-in-groove subfloor
5. 1/4 in. "something" like plywood
6. vinly floor tile layer
7. vinyl floor tile layer (yes another)

I know all this because I removed several termite-damaged sections underneath base cabinets that we had installed. I built the sections back to the height of the rest of the flooring using 2x4 and plywood layers.

Now, I want to host a "Tiling Party" to pull up the old floor and put down a new one but I am not sure about the logistics. AS I see it there are a few identifiable tasks

A. Removal of old flooring down to layer 1 (and remediating layer 1 where needed)
B. Measure, cut, and lay cement board flooring
C. Lay tile floor

I've read a lot about tiling and have done walls, backsplashes and a simpler floor job in the past. What I am unsure about is how to break the job up if I have, say, 6 or so extra people to help.

I've got time to work on/prep it before people show up. Then I'll have about 6 people for 3-5 hours one afternoon in about 2 weeks. Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

-Paris

PS: I already know the difference in floor heights under the cabinets and in the interior of the room will have to worked out.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-07, 09:30 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
With the age of your house, I think I'd have it all tested for asbestos first - can you imagine the liability if you exposed your party to that?