Advice needed for bathroom tile layout

Old 12-29-07, 08:42 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice needed for bathroom tile layout

I need some advice on how to best lay out the floor tile in a basement bathroom I am installing in my house.

The floor tiles are 13X13. The bathroom is 6'X6' total, but includes a shower, so the area to be tiled is "L" shaped. I have attached some photos below.

I understand that, generally, you want to lay the tiles out in such a way that you avoid having very small cuts against the wall. In my bathroom, if I start with whole tiles at the entry, then I end up with 3" tiles against the far wall (part of which will be obsured by a pedestal sink). Here's a photo of a dry layout of the tiles near the entry:

http://gaetanol.myphotoalbum.com/vie...01&id=IMG_5425

The 3" area that I refer to is the area where my 3 foot level is sitting.

Here is a view around the corner of the shower, into the area where the toilet will be (that would be to the back-right of the the area shown in the other photo):

http://gaetanol.myphotoalbum.com/vie...01&id=IMG_5426

In this part of the bathroom, I will end up with 4.5" cuts along the wall to the right of the toilet and the 3" cuts to the left side (the same 3" cuts seen in the other view).

My question is: Should I reduce the size of the tiles at the entry by 4.5 inches and shift everything accordingly? That would result in a first row of tiles that would be 8.5". Then I could end up with a whole tile to the right of the toilet, and a 7.5" tile along the far wall (ie, the wall to the left of the toilet).

Any opinions from the experienced setters is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-07, 10:28 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Seems like you're dealing with more of an ascetic issue than anything else. I prefer to see full sized tiles at the door entryway, like you have in the photo. Having a small cut close to the door would look like a mistake. I would not change a thing.

But if you're set on changing this, after all it's your place and you have to be happy with it, than you could try rotating the tile 45 degrees. Your tile will be at an angle, and you may really like the look.

Old 12-30-07, 09:01 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Just keep trying different dry layouts until you see something you like.