Hollow sound under newly installed floor tile

Old 12-31-07, 03:58 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hollow sound under newly installed floor tile

A few days ago, I finished tiling the floor of my laundry. 12X12 porcelain tiles over Ditra using Laticrete 272 unmodified thinset. I thought it went OK and tonight I was preparing to grout.

However, as I was cleaning some excess thinset out from between the tiles, I noticed there are a small number of tiles that give a hollow sound when I gently tap them with the handle of my wooden screwdriver.The rest of the tiles have a solid "dead" sound when I tap them.

Is this normal? I'm concerned that the tiles are not properly adhered and will come loose soon. Will this situation improve after I grout, or should I pry the tiles up and re-adhere them?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-07, 04:46 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I usually means there is a void in the adhesive. I frequently find one or two of these in a decade or older floor and they are doing fine. Other times, they are loose or broken. If you want replace the tiles, the time to do it is definitely before you grout.

The way I check floor tiles rapidly, BTW is with a golf ball. Plink, plink, plink, PLONK. Does not take up much room in the tool caddy, and I don't have to bend over to test them. On walls, I use a hard-headed xylophone mallet.

Old 12-31-07, 07:08 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
It might be fine, but if you're neurotic like me you won't be able to live knowing about this. I'd have to pop those tiles and fix it.

Old 12-31-07, 09:42 PM
G
I have no lack of neurosis , so I'd just as soon pull them up now and reset them. What the best way to get the tile up without breaking them? Since the tiles seem to be bonded well at this point, I'm not sure how to get them up without pulling the Ditra off the slab or break a tile (or an adjacent tile).

Any suggestions?