Cement board - use 1/4" or 1/2"?

Old 01-10-08, 11:33 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cement board - use 1/4" or 1/2"?

I will be installing ceramic tile over a wood sub-floor in a bathroom and kitchen. Planning to first install "Hardibacker" and would appreciate comments on whether to use 1/4" or 1/2" inch, or what factors might govern which one to use?

Also, are the installation requirements (thinset and screws) identical for both 1/4" and 1/2"? If I spend a little more money and use 1/2", are there any offsetting savings in time or expense associated with installation?

By the way, in my situation, floor height is not a big consideration - I could go with either 1/4 or 1/2 inch Hardibacker. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-08, 01:43 PM
J
Ken,

Use 1/4" unless you need the extra height. The process is the same. Be sure to use the proper screws or roofing nails. Don't forget the thinset and tape too.

How thick is your plywood sub? How large an area is it total? Have you checked that the subfloors system including the joists are up to par?

Jaz

Old 01-11-08, 11:48 AM
K
Thank you for the reply. I am still checking on sub-floor; haven't gone into the crawl space yet, so don't know what the joist system or spacing is, although floors seem very firm and solid in this 60 year old house. The subfloor itself is 2" X 6" inch "solid lumber" boards (actual width is 1 1/2 "). Seller of house told us they are redwood although I am not positive about that. Is there a particular requirement that needs to be met by joist size and spacing? I am vaguely aware that there is a way of calculating whether the floors are suitable for tile.

(I have already removed old viny flooring and 1/2" particle board underlayment.)