Preparation of sub-floor before tiling

Old 01-16-08, 02:51 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Preparation of sub-floor before tiling

I have removed old tile floor in bathroom, including removal of the concrete pad underneath. I'm down to the sub-floor, which is 1" x 6" planks installed diagonally over 2" x 8" joists spaced 16 inches apart on center. I'm planning to install 1/4" Hardibacker before tiling and would like to know if there is anything else I should do. Specifically, is it necessary to first install a layer of plywood in my situation? Also, is any sort of plastic or paper moisture membrane needed and if so, does it go down before or after plywood (if plywood is needed). Basically, I would appreciate knowing what needs to go onto the subfloor, and in what order, before tiling? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-08, 04:27 PM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Ken

You need to add at least 1/2" of plywood over the planks. Then you can use cement board or a isolation membrane.

What is the unsupported span of the joists?

Old 01-16-08, 06:22 PM
J
Ken,

I see you're there.....I'm waiting for the answer. Regardless of what the unsupported span is, you will need that plywood.

Jaz

Old 01-16-08, 06:24 PM
K
Thank you, Johny. House is my daughter's. I won't have a chance to check on your question about unsupported span of the joist for several days, but will plan to post back on this.

Also, I am curious about your reference to "cement board or isolation membrane". I thought the cement board was a "must" but apparently is not, if I use isolation membrane instead? What is an acceptable isolation membrane (that is, what brand or type of material would I look for at Home Depot or Lowes)?

Old 01-17-08, 03:06 PM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Either cement board or membrane, not both.

Not sure about Lowes but HD carries Schluter Ditra. That would be a good choice.