Need help stripping & re-seling Terra Cotta tile

Old 01-17-08, 02:00 PM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help stripping & re-seling Terra Cotta tile

I have a terra cotta unglazed tile floor.

When it was put in 2003, The tile store said to use Mira Shine by Miracle a water-based sealer for unglazed terra cotta to seal the tile.
Big mistake!

When it got wet, the tiles would develop a spotty haze, which I could not get off.
I was told by another tile store to remove the sealer w/Strypeeze, a water based paint & varnish remover.
Since then.... many hours have been put in to remove the sealer!
The tile still has a haze, much less, than before; the grout which is terra cotta color still has a whitish haze on it when dry.

I have Aqua Mix SEAL & FINISH LOW SHEEN to seal it.

Is this a good sealer???

Being the haze is slight now & does not show when wet can I
just seal it now or should I strip more?

I have cleaned it again w/ detergent & repeatedly soaked it with water and removed water w/shop-vac.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-08, 02:20 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
For stripping sealer from terracotta, Aldon makes a good stripper: http://www.aldonchem.com/pr-premium-stripper.htm

Aqua Mix is a leader in stone care products. If you still have a haze, you still have surface contamination from old sealer, stripper, and soap used in cleaning. I'd go over the terracotta once more with Aldon stripper, following label directions. But, first go to the Aldon website and read everything about stripping and finishing previously sealed terracotta. There can be incompatibility between new sealer and old sealer in pores of terracotta. Aldon stripper does not leave residue that needs to be washed or rinsed off.

To maintain new floor finish, use only cleaning products recommended for natural stone. These are pH neutral.

Last edited by twelvepole; 01-17-08 at 03:05 PM.