moisture under linoleium

Old 01-25-08, 06:54 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
moisture under linoleium

My wife talked me into redoing our guest bathroom top to bottom. Here is what I ran into as I was pulling up the old linoleium on a slab foundation I found moisture all over the place. I think it is coming from some small tight cracks in the concrete.
I want to lay tile but not over a foundation that leaks. what can I do?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-08, 07:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are you sure water isnt leaking down from the tub under the lino?

If it is indeed the slab creating this moisture, there isn't much you can do except mitigate it, do so by applying a membrane like Noble or Ditra underlayment.

Hang in there Mike, maybe someone with more experience, like Jaz will know more.

Old 01-25-08, 08:32 PM
J
Hi Mike, Mark,

Did someone call?

Put your Sherlock Hat on and determine where the water is coming from. Three probable sources. The bathroom plumbing, in the slab water supply pipe, or water from the ground under and/or around the slab.

You need to correct this before you install anything. Waterproofing membrane will not work.

Jaz

Old 01-26-08, 04:21 AM
M
water from the ground under and/or around the slab.

Water from the ground under and/or around the slab. That is the common cause around here in North TX we have some bad soil. I can see a couple of hairline cracks in the foundation. The guy at Home depot said not much you can do but apply a liquid water seal like thompsans.
I am still trying to get the old backing from the linoleium off what a pain my knees are killing me.
I even tried a propane torch and all I got was a piece of concrete that that snapped off like a fire cracker.
It sure looks easy on TV. I think I am going to block the channel HGTV as it gives my wife too many ideas.
Well I am going back in with some stuff called crud kutter and my spatula and start removing glue again after I finish my cup of coffee.