How do I attach wood quarter round to a tile floor?

Old 02-01-08, 02:14 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question How do I attach wood quarter round to a tile floor?

I'm in the process of remodeling my kitchen and I just finished tiling my kitchen floor and I am now putting up some wainscoting and some quarter round pine trim. There is no issue with attaching the quarter round to the baseboard, but there is a problem now that i'm around to the sliding door. I tiled as close to the metal threshold as I could but there is a small uneven gap that I would like to cover but there is nothing to drive nails into. There is tile and metal. I can't drive nails into the gap because technically the trim isn't going to cover it because i need to leave a gap for the screen door wheels and frame. You might be thinking why is the screen door on the inside? Thats because the idiot who installed it (not me) put the thing in backwards! Anyway, I was thinking adhesive but its a high traffic area and I figure it won't stick to the tile. Should I drill holes in the tile? Do I need a special bit? Its alittle close to the edge of tile for drilling maybe 1.5 inches. Thoughts anyone?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-08, 02:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That location never gets a wood trim. The tiles get cut straight leaving a gap of 1/8" to 1/4" and the gap gets filled with caulk. The floor tile MUST have room to expand and a
1/4" gap MUST be allowed to remain all around the room.

There could also be moisture issues at that location and the wood may not survive when there is tile and metal there to condense moisture all the time.

Old 02-01-08, 02:39 PM
F
ok then scratch the wood. The gap is there. How can I even out the gap so it doesn't look so bad?

Last edited by Fleawest; 02-01-08 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-01-08, 02:58 PM
Bud, have you ever seen a ceramic tile expand indoors?

Old 02-01-08, 03:28 PM
Bud, have you ever seen a ceramic tile expand indoors?
ARE YOU SERIOUS? It happens all the time. There's a thread running here (I think it's here) right now where a tile floor has tented and the tiles have popped up. The tooth fairy didn't cause that - expansion did.

The books are full of expansion joint requirements for tile installation inside and out.

All tile installations are required to have an expansion gap around the perimeter of the room.

The TCNA has a logbook full of calls about tile failures due to improper expansion facilities.

OH I GET IT! That was joke!

Old 02-01-08, 04:07 PM
Wow Bud, it sounded like you took it personal.....

I just asked a simple question, you don't need to get upset.

Old 02-01-08, 05:23 PM
I'm not at all upset. You said it like you doubted tile could ever expand indoors and I gotta tell my friend it certainly does. All the time.

Old 02-01-08, 05:49 PM
F
So the question at hand is, How do I straighten this jagged gap since the tile is now installed? Can I use a rotary tool?

After I get it looking decent I'll fill the gap with caulk per Bud's comment.

Old 02-02-08, 05:46 AM
T
A grinder with a dry diamond blade will carve a nice straight line with a steady had. A few passes will cut all the way through but let the weight of the tool do the work. Have someone hold a shop vac along side as you work.