Cutting/Drilling Into Ceramic Tile...

Old 02-14-08, 11:28 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cutting/Drilling Into Ceramic Tile...

So, I've put down backerboard and laid my ceramic tiles over it. It's less than perfect, but it's a floor.

The only tiles I didn't put down are the ones that fall directly over my floor duct for my heat/AC. I used a small hand saw to cut out the opening in the backerboard - but, what is the best way to cut a long rectangle into a tile? The opening will span two tiles.

Also, I have cabinets to put down over my floor. I'm used to attaching them to the floor - do I need to do anything special for that? Can I drill or screw through a ceramic tile without cracking/breaking it?

Old 02-14-08, 12:17 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

You dont say just what kind of tile you have there? But for the register hole might find a wet saw for it. The new cabinets Id just fasten them to the wall is all.

Can I drill or screw through a ceramic tile without cracking/breaking it?
Yes. Take a awl and chip the glaze around where the hole Will be. Light like .Then take a hand drill with a regular bit the size you need and drill right through it. "By hand".

Last edited by Ed Imeduc; 02-14-08 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-14-08, 12:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
but, what is the best way to cut a long rectangle into a tile?
Without a wet saw or a diamond/grinder its almost impossible.

Also, I have cabinets to put down over my floor. I'm used to attaching them to the floor - do I need to do anything special for that?
Find a wall stud and attach them in that manner thru the back rail.

Can I drill or screw through a ceramic tile without cracking/breaking it?
Standard ceramic will allow you to drill with a carbide drill bit, porcelain may be an all together different challenge. There are drill bits at the hardware store called "glass bits" that may work. They look like a "spade" in a deck of cards.

Old 02-14-08, 01:13 PM
Hi Rob, good to see you're making progress! Can you possibly rent a wet saw for day? To cut the rectangular shape, you'll need to make a series of cuts, side by side (like slicing bread thinly!) and then chip them out. If you still have all those diagonal cuts to make along the wall, the wet saw rental would be worth the money.

For the cabinets, I'd use small metal "L" brackets, placed in the corners of the cabinet and under the top edge (inside the cabinet). They're barely noticeable. I don't think it'll be necessary to drill into the floor. If you want, you can run a bead of adhesive under the base edges.

Connie

Old 02-14-08, 01:21 PM
S
if you only have a few cuts to make, you can usually just go to HD or Lowes and have them cut them for you in their flooring dept. I don't know if they charge for this, but I never have, and it's cheaper than renting a wet saw.

Old 02-14-08, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by studiomule
if you only have a few cuts to make, you can usually just go to HD or Lowes and have them cut them for you in their flooring dept. I don't know if they charge for this, but I never have, and it's cheaper than renting a wet saw.
We (Home Depot) do NOT cut tile for customers (company policy). It's too much of a liability. We will however, rent you a wet saw or you can purchase one.

Old 02-14-08, 02:35 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Hey Hot

Is that just a policy in your area? I've seen HD employees cut tile for customers on a couple of occasions here in NJ.

Old 02-14-08, 02:40 PM
Our Division told us not to do it, and I hate cutting tiles for customers. I have done a few cuts to please a customer, and they did get the tile from us. I will NEVER cut a tile that we don't sell, the liability portion.

If a employee does cut them, it's because they have enough time to do it and the tile is from us, but we do not have to.

Old 02-15-08, 09:10 PM
R
I want to thank everyone again for all of the help. I haven't been on the computer because it's been packed away in a box. We've offically moved into the house and my girlfriend's parents are coming to visit this weekend (Dear god - talk about bad timing); and because of that we've had to put some plumbing work ahead of the tiles.

But yeah - I really can't thank you all enough.

Old 02-16-08, 09:07 AM
After the parents are gone, take a little breather! Post some more pix when you have time.
Connie

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: