Marble Problem

Old 02-17-08, 06:24 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Marble Problem

I noticed yesterday that I have a very large stain on the marble in front of my fireplace. The marble is light gray and the stain is dark gray and jagged as if a liquid stain and begins along the back. This morning there is what appears to be bleeding along the back of the marble and it definitely looks like it got wet. I just cannot figure it out. What is happening?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-08, 07:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Was this marble just installed?

Sounds like possibly the thinset that was used bled through the tile. It would be almost impossible to remove the stains.

Can you post some pictures? Upload them to a site like photobucket.com and insert the IMG code in a post.

Old 02-17-08, 08:40 AM
S
The marble is 12 years old. Can that happen now?

Old 02-17-08, 11:21 AM
No it can't happen!

Where are you?
Is there snow on the roof?
Are there ice dams on the roof?
Is there a chimney cap?
Do you use the firplace?

I'll tell you right now you have a roof leak but until you answer some questions that's all anybody can say.

Old 02-17-08, 11:31 AM
S
Marble Problem

I live in the Detroit area. Lots of snow which started melting some yesterday and now today we have rain. We have not used the fireplace since Christmas week.
Can water do this to marble and is it ruined? I live in a condo and the roof leak will be repaired.

Old 02-17-08, 12:14 PM
Shouldn't be a problem What you are seeing is moisture creeping into the marble. The moisture won't hurt the marble and will eventually go away.

The bigger worry is what the moisture is doing to the substrate and it's anybodies guess what could happen there.

I would suggest you take some pictures and keep an eye on the location watching for movement in the substrate or signs of an upheaval. Polish up your insurance policy real quick.

Get a hold of whomever you think is going to be responsible for fixing the problem and get them "on notice" immediately. Spit-shine the insurance policy first tho.

Old 02-17-08, 04:08 PM
S
Marble Problem

A roofer should be here tomorrow or Tuesday. Thanks for your help. Hopefully, not too much damage. This just started yesterday, I believe. It has been so cold and snowy here.